Saturday 11 March 2017

Fondant Carnation


I love waking up on a weekend morning feeling inspired! After spending time with my sister yesterday, and finding out that a carnation is her favourite flower too, I felt inspired to teach myself how to make one from fondant and i want to share it with you.

I had one, maybe two problems:
  1. I don't own a carnation cutter
  2. I have no florist tape! You need some! However, the fact that I didn;t have any will not affect the quality of this "How-To"
You will need:
  • 1 small scalloped edged cookiecreation
  • 1 medium scalloped edged cookie cutter
  • Modelling fondant of your own colour choice (standard fondant will not work)
  • Your rolling pin and tools
  • Small calyx cutter (optional)
  • A little green modelling fondant (optional)
  • A cocktail stick
  • Wire, curled over into a loop at the top 
  • Florist tape (I didn't have any and you will see what I used later in this post)
  • Edible glue / water
  • Brush for glue / water
Step #1: Cover the loop with the florist tape


Here, I had a problem. As this was an impromptu make this morning, I had no tape. So I covered the loop at the top of my wire using modelling fondant. This was a bad choice so don't make the same error as I did, make sure you get florist tape, your fondant creation will grip onto it and wont slip off the wire as mine did at first. Cover the loop and a few mm's down the wire

Step #2: Cut your shapes

  • For each carnation you will need to cut two small and one medium scalloped edges circles.
  • Place them under cover so they do not dry off.
  • If you are making more than one carnation, cut one small one for each carnation before you go onto cutting the other small one (and then later your medium one)
Step #3: Roll edges

  • Using your cocktail stick, roll out each individual scallop. 
  • If they crack or break, don't worry, this will add to the effect!
  • Do this all the way around. 
  • Already you can see the beautiful, frilled edged of the carnation forming.
Step #4: Add to wire, fold an dry

  • Add glue / water to the centre portion of your frilled circle and place wire through the centre of your circle up to the tape.
  • Fold in half and gently press together
Step #5: Bring edges to centre
  • Imagine what you have in front of you divided into three portions ...
  • Dab a little glue / water onto the centre portion and bring the right portion over then, pressing gently, stick it to the middle. 
  • Turn your creation around and repeat.
  • Pinch the underside so it grips onto any tape you have showing (or just the wire) so it's nice and tight.
  • Hang your creation upside down to dry
Step #6: Second circle


  • Repeat Step #3 with your second circle.
  • Add a dab of glue / water to the centre, push wire through the centre and bring up, tightly by carefully, to meet the first circle. 
  • Pinch gently so this second circle sticks to the first and also to the wire.
  • Hang upside down and allow to dry
  • At this point, you can stop if you only need the small carnation
Step #7: Repeat Step # 6 with the medium circle

  • Repeat the previous step with the larger (medium) circle
  • Hang upside down to dry
Step #8: Underside leaves (optional)

  • Using your smallest calyx cutter, cut out some greenery
  • Using your tool, spread out the leaves
  • Add this to the bottom of your carnation in the same way as you have been adding the circles
  • Pinch to the wire
  • Hang upside down until dry
Enjoy your creation



I did not have a stem / bud vase at first to display my creation but hey, it looks mighty fine in my ornamental apple salt shaker I brought back from the States with me last Autumn (Fall)


 Click here for the Insructables post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...