Friday 1 July 2016

Chess Inspired Birthday Cake - July 2016

Inspired by chess 


This chess inspired cake was made for my uncle's 65th birthday. He is positively chess crazy and even teaches primary school children how to play.

Anyway, I didn't want a chess board, but wanted a chess board effect on a round cake. Inside are two flavours of cake ... Chocolate and 'plain' these were cut in such a way that, when cut for eating, it should also look like a chess board. I'll add a picture to this post when it's cut. [See bottom of post to see if it's updated].

For a chocolate flavour sponge, buy a good quality baking cocoa and exchange about 12.5% of the flour for the cocoa

Again, a learning curve.  To decorate, I cut 2cm squares and stuck them onto the cake after a base layer of fondant had been put on it.  


However!!!! Here's my learning bit!!!!
I lost my way with the squares, as you an see, so next time, I think I'm either going to stop at the edge of the round then start in a different direction on the sides. 
OR
Cut out the squares and stick them to the rolled out base layer and then cover the cake as normal. Watch this space :-)



I also added home made chess pieces. I used dark chocolate and white chocolate. But that wasn't so easy either. They kept melting when I was trimming them off lol.
Lesson learned? Yes, put them in freezer, then trim. Instead of just putting them in the fridge.

But they look OK.


Once again, I've learned the hard way. But if my errors help you, and me in the future, I don't mind sharing.


Update:
The inside of the cake worked out perfect 
I'm a happy bunny :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...